Friday, May 22, 2015

There was a part of me that was afraid that I had not achieved anything during my high school career, that I had just kind of let the years pass by so I could just get it over with. That's the attitude I had for a while now, anyway; let's get it done and get out. But looking at it today, I convinced myself otherwise. There are a lot of things I've done in the past four years. There are a lot of things that happened during that short time, and there are so many wonderful and amazing people that I've come to meet (and many terrible people as well).

When I missed the first day of my high school freshman year, I was thoroughly convinced that four years was going to be an eternity. It wasn't. But I am an entirely different person to that girl who was walking home from the second day of school with an armload of textbooks because her mom couldn't afford to have a car. It's an amazing feat how one person can change so drastically in the short span of four years; those four years have introduced me to struggles that I still remember so vividly, people of such diversity who've all influenced me in both good and bad ways, and changes and maturation and all these other things that I can't really list. There's no doubt, really, that in each and every place I've been in since the beginning of high school, I've acquainted myself with different versions of me. There were days when I had persuaded myself that I would never see this day (because I was very sure I'd be dead before it)  and it's a miracle that I've come this far.

So, Jenny, good job on not dying and making it this far. I'm not going to say good job for doing well in school because that's a given.

Here's to an end to a brilliant, thrilling, and capricious chapter to my life. Here's to not giving up when there seems to be no way out. Here's to going on and finding a way when you're trapped.