Sometimes it was sad to see. She at times looked as if she had momentarily forgotten exactly what the objective of her life was. She then regained that monotonous look that she wore far too much, far too regularly.
Most of the time, it made me mad; I'd come home one day and tell her something about someone I met some place, and she'd be so uninterested.
It'd actually be okay if she was just uninterested, but she liked to undermine these people. It'd usually go something like this:
"So Rebecca won the state championship for figure roller skating."
"Really?"
"Yeah, she was first in the state. Isn't that cool?"
Scoff. "It don't understand why. It's not like everybody thinks that roller skating is important or anything. It's pretty useless."
And then I'd get upset (why exactly, I don't know; maybe because she not only undermines the passions of these people, but mine as well) and just change the subject.
I guess it's because she doesn't fully understand that to these people (and to me) their passions are what is most important to them; other people don't exactly have to think that it's cool or amazing or important because, hey, if I like it, that's all that matters, right? It doesn't matter if somebody thinks it's ridiculous that you'd dedicate all your time and money to this one thing, because it's something you enjoy. Right?
Maybe she's right in some sense that, yeah, it's hard for other people to see why such a thing as figure roller skating could ever be of any importance because, like, is it ever going to get you money? A house? A stable job with a family and three cars? Probably not. But that's also probably not what matters most to Rebecca. And Rebecca probably doesn't even care that she just called Rebecca's hard earned achievements useless.
So I guess Rebecca would agree with me that, yeah, all it really does is give you bragging rights or something to talk about at lame tea parties or dinner dates. But she'd also, like me, say that she doesn't care what people like her say about her hobbies or life's dedications. Because she knows that it doesn't really change the way she feels about her passion.
And it's a sad thing to live without a passion, really (objective? monotonous look. too regularly).